Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hairy Situations...



There seems to be a common thread to many of the conversations with the kids the past few days: Meghan's hair. Brian started it all off while making some window clings he got for Christmas. There was a girl super hero and he says, "I should make this super hero for Meg." I assumed it was because it was a girl and so is Meg, but nope. He tells me it's because they both have curly hair. That's all well and good, but then latter on he is telling his mom the story, and Celine pipes in, "I love Meggie's hair. I wish I could dye my hair curly!" OK, how cute is that???


My adorable niece Cora has decided that at the mature age of 21 months, that she is ready for potty training. My sister tells me that yesterday she actually refused to wear diapers, and after a few hours of wearing pull-ups she discovered that pull-ups are not exactly the same thing as "big girl panties", so she wanted to be wearing those instead. Now, for those of you who don't know my sister's middle child: Cora is fiercely independent! She does only what behooves her to do. My sister, knowing this child's profound love of nay-nay(candy), promised her that she would be rewarded with her favorite food group, candy, hoping that it would speed the Potty training experience along. The conversation went something like this:


Cora: "I want nay-nay.


Katie: "No, Cora. No nay-nay.


Cora: "I want nay-nay, Mama."


Katie: "If you go pee-pee on the potty then you can have some nay-nay. Wanna go pee-pee on the potty, Cora?" (Nodding her head and grinning broadly as she asks this)


Cora: "I want nay-nay, Mama!"


Katie: "Then, let's go pee-pee on the potty."


Cora: "OK, bye!" (As she walks away.)


Latter that day, after a successful potty attempt, Cora called her GiGi (grandma) to tell her about the triumph, and handed the phone off to her mother. As Katie is telling Mom just how cute Cora is in her big girl panties, she shrieks, "OH_MY_GOODNESS! (one word) I_GOTTA_GO! (again, one word) Cora just peed all over the floor!" And clicks off the phone. Now as a nanny I have assisted in the potty training of several children, and have experienced my share of accidents, and it's not always a funny thing when it happens to you. But somehow it becomes wickedly funny when it's someone else, especially your younger sister who put you through HECK when you were children. Sorry, Katie, but I loved this story.
Be good and God bless!

No comments: