Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Inconceivable Insects




We took the kids to the MOSH (the Museum of Science and History) recently. They have a new exhibit featuring insects of enormous proportions. Think I'm exaggerating? Well, see for yourself!!!











There was also a huge Praying Mantis that threatened to devour Brian and Celine! Have no fear, though, they were never in any REAL danger. They had JP and Grant to protect them, or so bragged the "protectors". Both claimed to have been more than capable of squashing these monsters. Whatever! All the insects were animated. This one and the locust, yes- locust, started out low to the floor and then extended up and out over everyone's heads! They were really big, and a lot bigger than I thought they would be. Not to mention a lot creepier than I expected them to be!! Ick!





There are lots of interesting exhibits there. We were able to see a show in the Planetarium Theater for the first time. The astronomer showed us the night sky for that very night and pointed out all the stars and planets we would be able to see. It was very cool, and very relaxing. Sadly, I wasn't able to enjoy the entire presentation, because I've become my mother! Wait, let me explain...



My mom has never been able to stay awake in a theater. She doesn't even TRY to see movies any more because she refuses to pay $10 to take a nap! In fact she even fell asleep during my HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION!!!!! (I'll save that for another time, but I am still deeply wounded by this fact. ;) ) Lately I've found that I, too am having difficulty staying awake in theaters. Anywhere it is cool, quiet, and dark. I just drift off. No matter how hard I fight it. That day at MOSH was no different. So I missed like 5 minutes of the thing before I realized I was sleeping and snapped out of due to utter embarrassment.





We had a picnic lunch out beside Friendship Fountain along the bank of the St. Johns River. I have no clue why its called Friendship Fountain, but it was a beautiful day, and perfect for a picnic!!


One last note...Meg and I introduced a new generation to the wonderful world of the Princess Bride. Clearly they had no idea what they had been missing! My favorite line from the movie? "I'm not a witch! I'm your wife!" It is one of my favorite movies of all time! Until next time!

Be good and God bless!

No comments: