Thursday, May 13, 2010

Life, Laughs, and Learning

A Year in Review


July. Ten months. Wow. So much happens in that amount of time. I couldn't begin to try to share all the amazing, funny, exciting things that have gone on in the past ten months. So much living happens in a day, to try to cover 300 days in a post would be impossible. First an explanation....

I have been on hiatus for far too long. What started out as a little break turned into a near year long sabbatical from the blog. I have recently begun to miss sharing the crazy, entertaining things the munchkins say, and thought I'd take the summer to try to get back in the saddle again.

So what happened? Honestly? Life. I've been busy living it. Between my family and life here on Nanny Island, as I like to call it, has been full of adventures and blessings. Everything from babies being born, driver's licenses earned, high schoolers preparing to graduate, and just the general business of growing and becoming amazing human beings has captured my attention more than the blog did. Many, many times I thought, Man! I gotta blog that! But it never quite made it into the laptop. So, here's a quick recap of the past 10 months:

Grant (11) had several surgeries to correct the cyst in his bone, thank God he is well and his doctors expect him to continue to heal and never be effected by this again. While he healed he was a key competitor on his community swim team and was quite the little fish. Still is. Grant has also earned the nick name GQ for his keen sense of style. That kid is suave!

Celine (8) has been taking piano lessons for an old friend of mine, Carrie, and recently had her first piano recital. She is excelling and emerging as quite the little musician. She surprises us and her teacher each week. She continues to dance and that recital is fast approaching! School seems to be something she loves as she gobbles up everything she's taught. She's a smart, talented, witty little lady who I've been calling Smarty Spice lately. I think it suits her. She's grown so far beyond the little baby she was nearly 8 years ago.

Brian (10) is double digits! Man this is a BIG deal to these kids, and he welcomed the badge of honor eagerly! He's growing so big! Looking more and more like a little man. And what a funny little man he is! FunnyBoy is his moniker. This kid can make a brick crack up with just a look or silly comment. If he isn't in the entertainment industry one day then I'll be mighty surprised!

John Paul (12) Well, JP as he has requested us to call him (?), will be 13 this month, and with that "teen" label comes all the angst and emo you never imagined! He's TALL, and handsome, and a pain in my rear! I love the kid, but sometimes you just wanna..... Anyway, he's the star on his baseball team and about to enter 8th grade. WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?

Colette (15) now has her driver's permit, making that half of my munchkins legal drivers. I can remember when half my munchkins were in DIAPERS! Princess is finishing up her Freshman year in high school and is a real beauty. She is the life of any party she attends, and there are a lot of them, I assure you. Her dance card is full!

Kaleigh (21) Okay, the age alone should tell you how much is going on on her life. What a stunning young woman! And due to the fact that she IS a young woman now, I'll respect her privacy and just say that she's an amazing person who I am very proud of. Between school and life she keeps very busy. I'm proud to know her and have been a part of her life. It bogles my mind that I have known her eleven years.

Monica (17) is finishing up her Junior year in high school and doing very well. She was a contestant in her schools "beauty" pageant and did very well. We were all so proud of her. She has her own car now and zips all over town- when she isn't working that is. And she's ALWAYS working! She's the hardest working 17 year old I know.

Last but not least is Warren (18). Spielberg is his new name, why? Because the guy can make a movie! I'll post his Senior class video he made in my next. So he's graduating this week and will be off to Florida State University in the fall. (I may or may not be crying right now. Just saying.) Man, this kid is handsome, and so smart and talented. I can't wait to see the amazing things he's going to do in his life.

OKAY, that's all the munchkins. Now for a brief update on me, not that you wanna hear the boring deets of my life.

My nieces and NEPHEWS (yes I have brand new one, Gavin- 5 weeks old) are growing like weeds and I adore them beyond words. Still no man, but I'm coolio with that. I'm very happy and enjoying spending time with family and friends. I'm living on my own again. My lovable roomie and sister in Christ finally got tired of my crap and moved. Only kidding! She had an great opportunity and moved, so I got a place to myself and everyone is happy! Let's see.... Oh! I'm writing, like REALLY writing. It's not the Great American Novel or anything, but I'm stretching my writing muscles on it and learning a lot in the process. And, no, you may not read what I'm writing because it is crap and not worth your time. You can read my first book after it's published, okay?

OK, thanks for hanging in there through this. As a reward here is a munchkin story:

Brian and Grant were goofing off at recess this morning. They were dancing with their Mom's couch cushions, spinning them and being silly. Grant dips his "dance partner" and says to "her", "I'll dip you like a cookie in milk!" These boys are gonna need strong women when they grow up, that's all I have to say.


I hope to see you tomorrow!

XOXOXO




No comments: