Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Signs of our Times...

We are surrounded by signage! Everywhere we look it seems that there is a sign staring back at us! Remember the "-God" billboards? Let me refresh your memory:















This nationally known campaign grabbed many people's attention. But I think we would all agree that this is an example of how signs can be a GOOD thing; directing our thoughts and hearts to God. There are of course those less than desirable signs that direct our thoughts to un-Godly things, like the ones that advertise that business named after our First Parents. I'm so tired of seeing that blond bimbo taking a ridiculously large bite out of that stupid red apple on US-1 in St. Augustine! Come on! How are parents supposed to explain that one to the kiddies? Don't tell me that they don't notice it either, because I have a 6 year old niece, and she notices everything! That kid is one smart cookie! Ya think that we should maybe re-evaluate the criteria for billboards? There was a time when those types of signs were exiled to outside the city limits. Ahh, those were the days!





Now there was a sign I remember from when I was a kid. I can even remember where it stood. It was a simple caution sign on the side of the road at the intersection of 312 and Old Moultrie Rd. in St. Auggie. It read, "DIP AHEAD". Well my sister used to think this was THE funniest sign, especially if I was occupying the seat in front of her. She never missed an opportunity to point out that she thought the sign was referring to me, and she never has tired of calling me a dip! Thank you, Katie, for all the laughs. Even if they were at my expense. {{{hugs}}}





So we come to the inspiration of this post. While in St. Augustine two weekends ago, (wow, I just realized that I mentioned St. Auggie a LOT in this post. Sorry.) Anyway, some friends and I went into one of the shops on St. George St. and there was the funniest sign I have ever seen! Here, I'll show it to you:








OMGOODNESS! This was perfect! How many times have we all seen unruly children in public? You know the ones that throw themselves screaming on the floor, run around in circles, or touch everything in the store. And who's fault is it that they are crazy? No, not the children. Annoying as they may be, they are only doing what they are allowed to do. It's the parents who should to be punished! Now I've seen different signs that threaten to auction off the child that breaks an item. It would seem to me that selling the little monster just lets the parents off scott free. Think about it, no more college tuition to have pay, no driving lessons, no more headaches. Man! They would probably break something themselves and blame it on the kid, and maybe even bring the rest of the brood in to suffer the same fate! No. "The Best Sign EVER", as I have come to call it, places the blame squarely on the shoulders of the guilty party; the parents. Is there any better punishment than to send such parents home with a kid that's hopped up on caffeine and a yappin puppy to piddle and poo all over their floors! I say bravo to this store owner. I left wondering though, "Where, in such a tiny store, do they keep the espresso machine and all those puppies?"


Keep your eyes open for funny signs, they are all around us!


Be good, and God bless!


P.S.- I suggest keeping a close eye on your kids from now on. You never know if I might be lurking around the corner with a puppy in one hand and an espresso in the other!




No comments: