Friday, August 22, 2008

Fay, Fay, Go AWAY!!!

Day 2 of Fay:

Yesterday Fay came ashore for the third time.  She brought a lot of wind and rain, but not too scary in these parts.  I think the worst of the storm has been listening to the weather forecasts and all the damage Fay's done further south, then wondering when it would get that bad here.

The wind has been impressive, and the rain; torrential.  Just a few hours ago we had some serious tornado scares.  There were several not far from us, and
 one came so close we shut the cats up in the downstairs bathroom because we thought we would need to get in there QUICK.  That was pretty unnerving, and I had to do somethi
ng to calm my nerves.  So I baked.  I'm not sure why.  I think that the storm blew my taste buds around or something.  I REALLY wanted cake, and I wasn't going out to get one.  So I made one.  I call it the "Go Away Fay Day Cake".  It's strawberry cake with chocolate icing  and strawberry filling.  After finishing it I think it looks like a giant mess of poo.  I let you decide for yourself: 



I actually went to work yesterday, and came home when the weather looked like it was getting nastier.   While I was at work I took a video of the storm, there's not much to see.  But when I got home the wind picked up and a neighbor went outside with a really cool kite and I couldn't resist taking some pictures and video.  It's shaped like a ship with beautiful blue and white sails.  


With the weather as unpredictable as it is, we've been keeping a close eye (and ear) on the EAS alerts.  I even went and bought a Weather Alert radio.  It's great.  Especially when it goes off in the middle of the night and gives you heart failure because you think a tornado is barreling down on you.  The fun part is when you shut off the alarm to listen to the warning, only to learn that it's the SAME tropical storm wind warning that you've known about for days now.  I haven't had a decent night's sleep in days, but I'd rather be waling around like a zombie with dark circles that send small children screaming and fleeing from my presence, rather than die in a furry of rotating wind and hail.  Have I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of tornadoes?  Well.  I'm not.

Please keep the other people still in the path of Fay in your prayers.  She's a doozy of a lady!

Be good and God bless!

No comments: