Thursday, October 9, 2008

Facebook Fanatic!

Hi. My name is SuperNanney, and I'm a Facebook addict.   

Or as my beloved cousin, Brandi says, I've become a slave to Facebook.  What started out as a way to stay in touch with the teens from the youth group has mushroomed into a full blown addiction.  Wait.  I assume you know what Facebook is.  You do know what it is, right?  Hm,  well just incase you don't know what I'm talking about I'll give you the 411 on Facebook.  It's a social network, much like MySpace is, but without all the hype.  Facebook is a lot more careful about what types of images they allow to be added to profiles, so you don't have as big an issue of questionable photos.  It was started to help college students stay in touch, but now just about anyone and everyone has a Facebook page.  Except my mother.  (Hey Mom, I'll make you one if you want me to!)             


Facebook in and of itself is great, it's actually fantabulous!  That's the problem, though.  It's too fantabulous!  I am most certainly addicted to Facebook's fantabulousness, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!  How does one know one's addicted to a social network?  Here a few tell tale signs:

  • The addict stays up way past their bedtime just so he/she can be the last one online so he/she won't miss anyone's up to date status reports on Facebook.
  • The addict will forgo snack time just to be able to check his/her Facebook page for any new  emails or friend requests.
  • The addict compares  the number of Facebook "friends" he/she has compared to his/her "friends", and will "poach" friends from other friends. (Confused? Me, too.)
  • He/she has a second tab opened in his/her browser at this very moment, and is logged on to Facebook at the same time as composing this post.
  • The addict clicks back and forth between his/her present window and the facebook tab and gets disappointed when none of his/her friends have updated their status. 
  • He/she uses the word "Facebook" more frequently than necessary.
Sadly I can say that I have been guilty of all of the above at one time or another.  Actually, to be honest, I've been guilty of all the above in the past 24 hours. (And I'll probably stay up WAY too late tonight, too.  Please don't judge me.  :( )

But you should know that there is hope for Facebook addicts like myself.  There is a new experimental treatment for this affliction.  The bad news is that it costs 7.1 Billion dollars, and this study was a government sponsored program, soooo.  Due to the recent "bailout", the program has been canceled.  Therefor, until this treatment becomes available again, or until I come into a ginormous fortune upwards of 7+ billion dollars, then I'm afraid I am, and will remain, a Facebook addict.  (There are some studies being done utilizing electric shock therapy, but I'll pass on those.)

I have to go check my Facebook page now.  It's been about 10 minutes since the last time I checked it.

Be good and God bless!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

LOL! That about sums it up! (Flipping over to my FB window now...)