Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another Case of Miscommunication...

It always amazes me how kids can mix up things that grownups say.  I'm equally amazed by how much they catch onto and understand.  I thought we'd review a few instances illustrating both of these situations... why? Because they are FUN-NY!!!

I love lists... a friend of mine described it as a love so deep that I have lists for my lists!  This is very true!  List help me keep my tangled, jumbled thoughts in order.  My thoughts are rarely ordered, heck, to be honest, not much in my life is ordered, but lists help keep me straight- somewhat.  It was one of these lists that Celine overheard me making the other day.  I was jotting down that I needed to organize some things... she looks back at me with a weird look on her face and says, "Did you just say sanitize?"  That might not be such a strange thing except that I was talking about organizing my sewing room... not a place I would ordinarily sanitize.  It SO needed to be organized, though!  (This misunderstanding  could have been due to the fact that I had just given her her own bottle of hand sanitizer, which she was very impressed with...)


A few weeks ago my sister and  BIL (brother-in-law) took my nieces and nephew to Sea World for a day trip to see the animals.  My oldest niece has been there more in her short 7 years than I have in all my 33!  (yes, I DID just admit my age on the INTERNET for ALL TO SEE!  What am I thinking?!!) Her favorite part is watching the divers as they retrieve the oysters that contain the pearls.  She begs for one each time she goes, and it doesn't take long for her to lose her "Pearl of Great Price", (Note: she has already lost her most recent pearl by letting a young friend hold it in the car.  We think it may have been eaten by said friend... ) I think she could have had a lovely string of pearls for all ones she has lost.  Cora first went when she was a tiny baby.  I have the cutest pictures of her sleeping on my Mom and I.  She was such a little peanut!  She passionately argues with me that she has NOT been there before, but it's hard to argue when there is photographic proof.  Katie and Chris decided to not tell the kiddos that they were going until after they were on the road.  They explained what Sea World had to offer; namely a giant Orca Whale, named Shamu, who splashes you when he jumps!  After the whoops and cheers has subsided, Cora squeals at the top of her lungs: "We're gonna see SHAMPOO!!!!  Um... I think that's an entirely different show, sweet niece of mine.  An entirely different show...

Brian has a great talent.   He can take something he has heard someone else say and use it in a real life setting and it be completely appropriate.  His main source for new sayings is the boob tube.  He LOVES himself some TV!   I'm talking mostly junk TV here, like cartoons and Disney Channel sitcoms... these all have quirky saying and smart aleck remarks wedged within them.  Most of these go right past me; I never really pay much attention to them and it SEEMS like he doesn't pay any attention to them either.   Yeah, right!  As it turns out he's paying VERY close attention.  He will blurt the craziest things at just the right moment.  FOR INSTANCE:

We were working on catching up on a few assignments we were behind in Reading.  I asked him if he could please do 2 chapters rather than the one that was assigned.  That way we'd be back on track!  Fully expecting him to eagerly agree (HEY!  A girl can dream, can't she?) OR, the more likely scenario would be to hear whining, and wailing, and the gnashing of teeth- but I didn't expect him to calmly reply:

"I don't know... Let me check my schedule and get back to you.  Yep.  I'm free."

As you can see, he's quite the little one liner.  This is my life- and I love it!


Until next time...



No comments: